EMBRACE Diversity Training Workshop
The Multicultural Leadership Institute (MLI) offers students a free 18-hour diversity-training workshop track called EMBRACE (Educating Myself For Better Racial Awareness and Cultural Enrichment). The benefits are:
- Develop personally by examining one's own stereotypes, communication barriers and knowledge about other cultures.
- Network to build alliances with Pierce College faculty, staff, administrators and student leaders.
- Earn an EMBRACE certificate of hours completed in diversity training.
- Plan your own workshop schedule based on workshops offered.
- Put the diversity training into action with community service and service-learning opportunities
Spring 2017 MLI Workshop Schedule
April 7, 12-1 p.m. (CAS 526) Kickoff Meeting
April 14, 12-1 p.m. (CAS 526)
April 28, 12-1 p.m. (CAS 526)
May 19, 12-1 p.m. (CAS 526)
June 2, 12-1 p.m. (CAS 526) Joint Meeting with ELA
June 9, 12-1 p.m. (CAS 526) Joint Meeting with ELA
Interested in Joining Us?
MLI is active in the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters only.
What Students Are Saying About MLI
"MLI has been the support system that I never knew I could have at a large institution"
-- Jessica MCKay
"Before MLI, I was hesitant in sharing anything of my culture. I isolated my East-Indian heritage from any aspect of my social life. But after attending the MLI weekend Intensive, I couldn't wait to share anything and everything about my culture. Now I embrace with both arms open."
"I am a first generation college student. When I first started here at Pierce, I felt separated from my school experience. I didn't have people to talk about school. Thanks to MLI, I feel connected to the college. MLI introduced me to a lot of great people that have different backgrounds and cultures than me. The people I met in MLI have become my support system I lacked when I started here."
-- James Campbell
In 2008, Pierce College Multicultural Leadership Institute received the Voice of Inclusion Medallion for Exemplary Program.
This is a nationwide distinction awarded by the American College Personnel Association (ACPA).
We are partners with the Emerging Leaders Academy.